Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Fall is in the Air

I've heard quite a few friends gripe about fall in Arizona.  They say it's not how it should be, the experience isn't the same, and it's not "cool" enough to truly be fall.  Sure... I'll concede, it doesn't look {anything} like this.......
OR either one of these.....
The palo verde and mesquite trees don't change colors.  There isn't the rustling of leaves in the evening.  People can't carve their pumpkins and keep them on their porch for weeks ahead of Halloween because, in case you didn't know, the gourds will mold very quickly in 80-90* weather. 

However, fall in Arizona has always held its charms for me.  The leaves may not change, but you know what does change outside?  People.  More people are out walking their dogs or exercising outside.  We can hear kids playing in our neighborhood.  The sudden drop in temperature draws everyone out of their air-conditioned homes and into the big, beautiful world.

I love the first step out in the morning.  The cool air is delightful to breath in - although, my cool air is frequently mixed with the scent of cows, but again... that's charm.

Living in Gilbert, the markets start to fill with local gourds, which I love.  It feel so personal, connected... and small town.

Plus... there's football - enough said.

By far the best part of fall in Arizona though is the weather.  The weather is still warm enough not to need a coat but cool enough in the evenings to turn off the air conditioner, open the windows and listen to the crickets chirp.

So while we may not experience fall like the rest of the country, I wouldn't have it any other way.  This is my fall and I'm ready to enjoy it.  

What's your favorite part of fall?

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
Blogging tips