This year, my husband and I decided to spend Thanksgiving at home - just the two of us. We figured we may never be able to do this again so why not have a meal to celebrate being thankful for each other. The other thing is... I never get to host Thanksgiving and I really love to cook. You can imagine how excited I was to plan and prepare my own dinner. Thankfully, my husband is a good helper and we made the most fantastic meal together.
The first order of business is to get organized. I'm notorious of taping my recipes to my cupboards. Keeps them out of the way of spills and at eye level for me.
Our menu for this Thanksgiving can be found in these links.
As always, the first food to tackle was the bird.
- Set oven to 400* F. Let turkey roast for 45 min to an hour until brown.
- Reduce heat to 350*F. Baste with olive oil mixture. Add one cup of water to bottom of pan.
- Baste with from the bottom of the pan every 30 minutes. Be sure to cover the entire turkey.
- Follow the instructions that come with your turkey regarding the length of time needed to cook. Ours came with the little red plug, so I waited for that to pop out.
- Once red plug pops out, or you have reached your cooking time, baste turkey one last time with olive oil mixture, add fresh lemon slices and rosemary to the pan and roast for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from oven, tent aluminum foil and let sit for 30 minutes.
I hope you had a fabulous Thanksgiving! Onward to Christmas!!!