Thursday, January 3, 2013

Ultimate Drain Cleaner


We've all had them - clogged drains.
Whether in the kitchen, the shower, or the bathroom sink...
they are a huge pain.

I was an avid Dran-O user until I learned this very easy and inexpensive solution!

All you need is...
1 Box of Baking Soda
1 Bottle of Distilled White Vinegar
Pot of Boiling Water


Here's What You Do:
1.  Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda into drain.  Don't measure, it doesn't have to be exact.
2.  Pour 1/2 cup of white vinegar into drain - again don't measure - and marvel at the magical volcano that occurs in your drain.  Seriously... it's mesmerizing. 
3.  Wait five minutes.  This will allow the baking soda and white vinegar time to work through the pipes.
4.  Pour boiling water down the drain.  I boil water on the stove in a kettle and dump it down the drain.

Now... if you've never done this... 
it make take a few shots to get a completely clean pipe.  

We did this at my parents' new house in the guest bathroom...
where the previous owners bathed their dogs...
it took almost a full box of baking soda and 2 gallons of white vinegar,
but those pipes are clean as can be.
Plus - it eliminated odors and was still cheaper than buying bottles of Dran-O!

Come on - no chemical smell?!  I'm all about that!

Another cost saving tip - don't use fresh baking soda!
Use the baking soda you keep in the fridge to eliminate smells.
Instead of tossing it out when it's "expired" and hardened - put it in your cleaning cabinet.
Break it into pieces when you're ready to put it into the drain
and it still works!

We do this in our kitchen sink and showers once a month and bathroom sinks once every three months.
Could not be happier with the results!

Happy Plumbing!!!


10 comments:

  1. I used this in my old apartment! The guy upstairs was rinsing his house painting supplies in his kitchen sink and it overflowed the pipes and backed up in my sink and then proceeded to clog the drains. But this worked SO well!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear it works well for others! I love this trick! No nasty chemical smell.

      Delete
  2. I've been using this technique ever since I read it on your blog! It really takes a few tries and a little patience to unclog my drain, but it worked! This is a very inexpensive and convenient way to unclog drains that needs minimal attention. Thank you! I hope to read more tips soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fantastic to hear! I'm happy it's working for you! Thank you for the great feedback. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jen! =) I have tried your solution as well. The moment I learned how effective this solution is, I shared it with my mom and my sister. I hope you don’t mind. ^_^ Not only is it cost-saving, but it also doesn’t consume much of my time cleaning our sink. Hope to read more insightful blogs from you!***Althea Tumlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even before reading your post, I was advised to use vinegar, baking soda and hot water in cleaning the clogs in my sink. What I love about this is the removal of the chemical odor, plus the disinfecting that the vinegar does in the sink. With this in mind, I’m so confident that I have a clean, odor-free and germ-free kitchen sink.

    [ Carmella Vancil ]

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe works great on slow moving drains, but be careful with boiling water. It might damage certain sealants, using very hot water should be sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So interesting to see how recipes like this play out. I don't have the guts for it! I'd rather let my local company in the Bronx take care of it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried out the formula you recommended, and it actually worked! I’m not going to lie, I was a little doubtful, because I’ve used drain cleaners before that never worked, and they were full of powerful chemicals, but this was a pleasant surprise. Much faster and less expensive than calling up a plumber to clear out the drain, that’s for sure.

    Lovella Cushman @ Perfection Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  8. The vinegar and baking soda solution works great. At least, it works well if you catch it early. If your drain is really clogged, it may not work as quickly. I find it helpful to regularly use that combination on the kitchen drain. It saves all of us a lot of stress and makes it easier to focus on other things.

    Wilfred Andrews @ LB Plumbing and Heating

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips