Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Mardi Gras Plate Decorations


It's Mardi Gras ... Christmas!  You can't have Mardi Gras without over the top, bright and shiny decorations.  Masks, music signs, crowns and of course, fleur de lis.  You have to have them.

Lucky for me, we had chargers leftover from our wedding that were begging for new life.  A little paint, a little fun accents and we have some awesome art pieces on our wall.

The great thing about this project is you can do this with icons for ANY holiday.  I got idea after idea while I was doing this... I think there are many more charger plate crafts in my future.

I bought all of my materials at Michaels (including the chargers). One stop shopping is your friend.  :)

Materials
Chargers
Martha Stewart Metallic Paints: Silver and Gold
Glitter Glue
Gemstones
Feathers
Hot Glue
Scissors and X-Acto Knife
Pencil
Paint Brush

*  This project is done with acrylic paints.  An alternative to this method is cutting out vinyl and adhere it to the plate - if you have the tools to do so.


1.  Prep your chargers for painting by cleaning them with dish soap and warm water. Dry thoroughly
 2.  Print off your stencils online. I simply googled the icons I wanted and printed off the best images that would make stencils.  Look for images with clean, simple lines.
 3.  Cut out your stencils using scissors and an X-Acto knife for the small pieces.
 4.  Trace your stencil onto the charger with a pencil.  Press firmly.
 5.  Paint within in your stencil.  It will take multiple layers to get a solid look.  Allow the paint to dry thoroughly between coats.  Otherwise, you will pull up the previous coat of paint.
6.  Outline with glitter glue ti give your icons a little POP!  Allow to dry overnight.
 7.  Embellish with feathers, gem stones and whatever else your heart desires.

Hang and marvel at your craftiness!

Happy Mardi Gras -- Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work you are doing here

    ReplyDelete
  3. so I think it will help a lot. I leave my blog address below. Please visit once.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips