Monday, November 2, 2015

Easy, Beautiful Embroidery Decor with Wood Board and Yarn


I happened upon this project while cruising aisles I didn't need to be in at Target. Don't judge - you know you've been guilty of it too. Recently, Target has really amped up their crafting game and I absolutely adore the products they carry. Clean, beautiful and modern. Of course, I had to pick up some products and give them a shot.

This is a quick and easy project to do for yourself or as a gift for someone else. All you need are three items and you're ready to design a personalized piece of home decor.



You will also need a yarn needle {large plastic needle, super cheap}.



1. Figure out what you want to do! I decided to freestyle my design using four colors of yarn and created a variegated dark-to-light design. The colors reminded me of the ocean and how the colors get darker the deeper you go. So I stitched an abstract sideview of the ocean and sang "Fathoms Below" from The Little Mermaid almost the entire time.

But I digress. If this isn't your style, you can find plenty of embroidery inspiration on the internet. A good place to start is Pinterest, shameless plug: my board {XStitches} is loaded with modern and pop culture designs.



2. Time to get started. Cut your thread to length, thread that needle and let's get stitching!

I did a basic cross stitch. If you're unfamiliar, again, the internet is your best friend. There are tons of videos on YouTube with instructions.

For extra security on my thread beginning, I chose to tape the end of my first strand to the board. This is not necessary but I find relieves a ton of frustration for me.







... and basically that's it. There's not even a step 3 for this project. How easy is that?!




For your listen pleasure...



3 comments:

  1. I love how this came out! Using the wood as the final color was great! Reminds me of the waves lapping up to the shore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was going for! Glad you saw it too!

      Delete
  2. This is an amazing article for all the newbie of embroidery field and you have mentioned complete embroidery things in this blog with efficiency Appreciated!.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blogging tips