Thursday, September 13, 2012

Spiderweb Frame


I have been absolutely obsessed with the primitive wood Halloween ornaments from Michaels.  I even considered making a Halloween tree just so I would have a reason to use them.  Instead, I used them as inspiration for this creepy Spiderweb wood frame.

Good News for my Busy Crafters: This project costs under $7 to complete and all supplies are available at Michaels.  Yay for One Stop Shopping!

**If you want to adapt this for kids, I suggest using a more substantial string like yarn and a friendlier spider.

Materials
Square Wood Frame
Black Acrylic Paint
Paint Brush
White Embroidery Floss
Spider Embellishment (Used: Primitive Spider Wood Ornament from Michaels)
Tacky Glue or Elmer's Glue
Sandpaper
Scissors
Pencil

Instructions
1.  Prep your piece by sanding down the rough edges and surfaces with your sandpaper.

2.  Paint your entire piece black.  Apply second coat as needed.

3.  Once dry, use pencil to draw out web design.

**In retrospect, I would have used Gloss finish Mod Podge on the entire frame at this point in the project.  In my finished project, you will notice the dried glue shows up just a tiny bit against the matte finish of the paint.  Having a glossy finish would have disguised the glue a little bit better.  However, my husband thinks the project as is looks extra creepy... to each his own.

4.  Using Elmer's or Tacky Glue, trace over design and apply embroidery floss.  I did the straight lines first, in pieces, and then did one continuous line for the internal "circle".  Remember to work in sections so your glue does not get to dry and use a thin line of glue.  I cut longer than necessary pieces and cut the tails after the string dried.

5.   Seal off the ends of any pieces you cut.

6.  Hang your spider.
And you're done!

Like I said, you may want to consider using Gloss finish Mod Podge to disguise the glue a little better.  That adds about 10 more minutes to the project but will make it a lot cleaner.

Also, you may be wondering why I didn't just wrap the embroidery floss around the frame instead of cutting pieces and gluing sections.  It's important to remember that wrapping through the center of the frame will take space away from your picture, not to mention making it difficult to fit a picture in.  Wrapping around the entire outside of the frame would have made the back of the frame really ugly and could also infringe upon your ability to put a picture in through the backside.

Do you have any great $1 frame projects?!  I'd love to see them!  Send me a photo at thecreativecubby@gmail.com

Happy Craft-O-Ween!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

 
Blogging tips